Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Yesterday, Jan 13th, we attended the funeral of our neighbors grandmother!! It was a 3 hour drive out to the village b/c the roads are so bad...the same distance in america would be like 30-45 minutes!! The funeral was very interesting...there were a ton of people there, and they put Kelli, Brooke, and I pretty much right in front of the casket...spooky, I know!! After they lowered the body, they pass the family off to another woman, who the deceased had chosen before she passed. This new mother takes care of family duties...as well as the husbands needs!! They fed every single person that atended the funeral, but me (I couldn't make myself eat the food b/c it was out of this huge metal thing...and tehy scooped it with their hands)!! I was exhausted when we got back, probably b/c I hadn't eaten anything other than a slice of bread @ breakfast!!

We finally started our orientation today!! I got a little frustrated b/c I was so hungry and we had a traditional lunch with Edward; I tried everything, but mainly ate rice and beans!! lol!! I have bought hot sauce already, but I still need a loooooooooot more to make it through!! haha

Edward is extremely nice and very willing to help us!! Becky, another Cyorf employee, gave us a language lesson today, and will continue it every day until our orientation ends!! It's pretty easy to say, but very hard to remember...mayber b/c my brain is fried from all of the stuff I ahve been taking in for the past 5 days!! :)

I am really looking forward to the end of our orientation b/c we get o visit bujagali falls, where we can maybe do a safari, and teh Nile Resort where we get to go swimming!! SUUUUPEEEER Excited about that...it's sooooo hot here!!

WE also saw pictures of the school that we will be teaching at, and it is a very rural area... the buildings are basically made out of sticks!! Not like in Jinja!!

I have tried to upload pics, but it's not really letting me, so I am going to try and do them on facebook and make the album public so anyone can see them... and if I find that is a success, then I will put all the information one needs to find them in my next blog!!

Sorry this blog is not so great, but like I said, I can't get my thoughts together right now!!! So tune in for a more in depth update by Friday!! Love you all!!

1 comment:

  1. It's good you are meeting helpful people. Don't feel bad I probably wouldn't have eaten anything either!!!

    ReplyDelete