Monday, January 12, 2009

Greetings from Jinja Uganda!!

Today is actually our third day in Jinja!! But our first actual time to use the internet!! The flights here were very long and uncomfortable!! Once we finally made it to Entebbe (Uganda's airport) the guys who came to pick us up caught a taxi for us and the taxi driver got arrested for an invalid permit, which was crazy b/c we had to go to the police station in two small cars and wait for Mande (CYORP rep) to get our driver out of jail!! Very interesting way to start your trip huh?

Our host family is really nice, there are a lot of kids @ mine and Kelli's house!! Our house is one out of five in a small parish where our host mother, Petra, counselor of the parish so everyone comes to our house to visit, including the kids!! It's great to play with all of the kids, but they are so fascinated with us white people (they call us muzungus) that it is hard to find time alone!! There is a young girl named Viviann who has been helping us to learn the local language!! It is hard, but we are slowly getting the hang of things!!


WE have been to town the past two days, which is about a 10 min walk...we are trying to not pay to take taxis, and get our lazy butts in shape:) lol!!! Town is nice, and we have met many muzungus who have been very helpful to us in making sure we don't get screwed over on prices since we are obviously not from here!! We have also made friends with many locals who have been very helpful, one named Allan Jackson!! He lives in the same parish as Kelli and I, and he pretty muched saved us from a drunk lasy night on our way home!!

Everyone is super friendly the land is beautiful!! I am making notes of specific stories to tell everyone in my journal, but I don't have enough time to type them all out!! Some will, no lie, make you wanna pee your pants!!!

I have also found many cool things that I plan to buy many of you... but not until later in my trip when I know that I can afford it!! Things are actually very cheap here by American standards!! So now that I have been on the internet for a long time now, I am signing off for the day!! Check back in a few days for a new post!! Love and miss you all!!

4 comments:

  1. Hey Erin!!!
    I'm glad to hear you're doing good! I can't wait to hear more about you and everything there! I know it has to be really different there.....but I know you can always fit in ANYWHERE! lol Keep all of us updated girl! Be safe! We'll be thinking about you! Love ya bunches and bunches!!!! =))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Erin - What an adventure! I am glad that you can approach the challenges with a sense of humor. I am so proud of you!
    How is the food? Did you cut your hair? Can you post photos?
    Love,
    Aunt Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was good to hear from you Erin. I'm glad everything is going well. Please be careful going out at night I stay worried enough. I will talk to you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Sweetie
    it was wonderful hearing from you the other day. I just thank God you arrived safe. I love you and am very proud of you. Please keep us posted on all your adventures.
    I love you so much
    Mom

    ReplyDelete